Recent buyouts include:
- Pitney Bowes (PBI) buys GPS Software Maker MapInfo (formerly: MAPS)
- GPS Company Trimble Navigation (TRMB) buys @Road.
- Semiconductor Chip company Broadcom (BRCM) buys privately held GPS chip company Global Locate
- GPS Equipment company Tom-Tom (TOM2.AS) buys privately held Digital Map company Tele-Atlas
- Wireless handset maker Nokia (NOK) buys Digital Map company Navteq (NVT)
And the most recent company:
Novatel Inc. (NGPS), the Canadian high precision global navigation satellite system company (GNSS), is bought out by Swedish comgolomerate Hexagon for $390 Million.
Now, there are only three pure plays on Global Positioning publicly traded in the US:
- Garmin (GRMN): GPS Equipment
- Sirf Technologies (SIRF): Makes Global Positioning Semiconductors
- Trimble Navigation (TRMB): GPS Equipment
There should be high demand for these remaining companies as Location Based Services will continue to be a large growth area over many years.