Where's the Bottom?
Based on Previous Chart analysis, there could be a good chance that the bottom of 1070-1077 could hold. If the market easily breaks through this level, the market would truly be in trouble.
But we believe that the 1070-1077 level could hold.
If the market does get there, we will not necessarily go straight up. The Bottoming process takes time. In fact, we believe we could have a very volatile, very violent trading range, and we could even have a bear market rally all the way up to 1270, 1330 or even 1387 before re-testing the low.
The average bear market decline is said to be around 30%, and we are currently around 30% below the recent high of 1576.
1077 is also the 61.8% retracement from the 2002 low of 768.63.
Should we get back in the market?
While the market needs time to recover, it is possible that we are near the bottom.
It is difficult to time the bottom, but there are some possibilities:
- It might be time to start slowly accumulating some index funds. One can invest a little bit at a time over the next year or so. Over the long term (10 years), people could say that this could be a valuable buying opportunity. However, we may have to withstand the great volatility ahead.
- Start looking over potential buys for the long term. While it is not wise to try to catch a falling knife, keep stocks on your watch list.
- Make sure you are not taking too much risk in your discretionary portfolio.
- It might be time to review your goals. What do you want to do with the money you are investing? And when do you need it by?
- Remember to diversify.
- What sectors would be good to own at this time? Cash rich companies? Consumer Staples? Determine your strategy.